Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Update: 1 Month On

Obviously, as I'm back in Exile, there are no match reports from me. Rather, I turn to my trusty roving reporter, East Belfast Blues, for his take on things:

08/12/07: CIS Cup Final, vs Crusaders - POSTPONED

I was gutted, we have BBC NI in our bar, texted my mates to express my excitement, and they told me: rained off. Raging. Match due to be replayed 2nd February.

15/12/07: Newry 0 Linfield 3

First half was crap, Gault was on the war path kicking everyone

Other than Mulgrew, we were poor.

Second half was much better and once we actually got the ball down, we looked like the half decent team that we are.

Big Oran got a wonderful reception and was his usual self when he got on, with his trademark run bringing about the penalty... which he should have been allowed to hit, rather than greedy bollicks chasing his record

Third goal was a perfect example of what we can do, with free flowing football.

Again though, why bring Tommy Stewart on for Spike, with 3 mins to go?


22/12/07: Linfield 3 Glenavon 2

We were shit!
Pat is done!
Gault is awesome!
Mulgrew isn't too far behind!

All in all a welcome 3 points and a boost for Boxing Day, but we need to improve big time, if we wish to pick up 3 points on Wednesday.


Succinct, to the point, and sadly true, as our Boxing Day 18-year unbeaten record came to an end with an abject performance. I actually watched this match on Sky, bedecked in full gear, much to the amusement of indifferent and bemused Frenchmen and Englishmen, so I'll give EBB's and my viewpoints from live and TV perspectives:

26/12/07: Glentoran 1 Linfield 0

EBB:
Absolutely, f*****g pathetic!

No balls, no hunger, no fight, no f*** all.

Credit to the Glens, who could easily have won by 2 or 3 more and fully deserved the win.

****e, of the highest f*****g order.


Linfield Exile:
Pat has been shit since he came back. Noel's legs have done. I actually thought the Dougster was ok, but everything's relative.

Oran should never have started, shows how much faith DJ has in Aidan. It was clear that Roy Castle was going to take every free going, apart from the first, they were all shite.

Thatnk fuck I'm not in Belfast now. Time to get pissed.


Oran's place in the starting 11 shows that DJ has his favourites, pretty much the Clean Sweep 11. In this respect he's very much like Clive Woodward, clinging on to former glories.

Pat is done.
Noel is done.
Dougie's not good enough.
I'll get hammered, but Spike needs rested.
Dicko is not a RW.
Oran's not fit.

HOWEVER, if we FINALLY beat Chickenville on the 7th, I'll be happy.

That Glens team is so fucking shite, I'm embarrassed.


In all seriousness, we were damn lucky tonight. If the Glens had taken their really good chances we'd have lost 3 or 4. That's fucking embarrassing. And even me, who's been away for almost a month, knows that that result was coming. That offside trap is an embarrassment. Aidan and Billy Joe in to fuck.



It called for a good reaction, and we got it, albeit against shite pub teams. First up, the Crues:

29/12/07: Linfield 5 Crusaders 0

What a difference Spike not being on makes. We actually decide to play the ball on the deck... coincidence? I think not.

Get Stewart on to f*** and give him a chance to show how good a player he is.

Apart from the decision not to play Tommy, I felt FDJ got it spot on.



And then it came to a rubbish New Year's Day fixture at a shithole of a ground, a long trip, and I really missed it, the piss-up would have been great and apparently they have a decent social:

01/01/08: Limavady 0 United Linfield 4 (Thompson 4)

Bluenose's summary this time:
Well played Thompson and it turned out to be an easy day at the office with the only downside being Spike. He was shite and i dont think he should have played today. The same with Bailie ( had a good game today). These boys are getting old and need rest. Lindsay/Stewart are more than capable to play against limavady.


Thompo's fourth here, thanks to MB:



Cliftonville next up, on Monday 7th January, and I've waggled the night off to watch it on Sky. I'm not confident, especially with DJ's insistence on playing the Clean Sweep xi/ persistence in playing the record chasers, Spike and Noel. Both are done, imo, and are harming our league chances and more importantly deterring future potential stars. Andy Ferguson is the first to leave, but I fear that Billy Joe, Stewart and others might not be too far behind...

No comments: